Your voice has been heard- at the last Middle School Parent Coffee – and we listened! Parents who attended asked for conferences with their child and to meet with all teachers. Our Spring Conferences format will include Parent and child requested meetings with all their Middle School Teachers. We are asking all students and a parent to attend Spring Conference so students and teachers can share strengths, discuss opportunities for improvement, and next steps in student learning. In addition, the Middle School Counselors will be available for brief meetings in their own rooms in the MPH. A list of the room numbers is here. We look forward to seeing you there!
Winter MAP Testing Results
The winter MAP tests were completed on Thursday. The results have come in and will be shared with parents during the Spring Conferences. You will be notified by email when they have been published to Synergetic.
A special thanks to 8th grader Noor Halawa and other Middle and High School students for helping us make the High Hopes Winter MAP video. You can see it at the link below!
8th Grade Optional Sexual Harassment Advisory Lesson
The 8th grade advisory classes will have an upcoming lesson on sexual harassment. Details on the lesson will be shared with 8th grade parents by email, and you will be provided with a method to “opt out” of your child taking the lesson, if you see fit.
The administration and counselors at UAS Middle School would like to pass along some information regarding the internet-based “Momo Challenge.” The purpose of this email is to make you aware of this social media “challenge” and urge you to monitor your child’s social media and internet usage. The “Momo Challenge” allegedly involves children being contacted by “Momo,” a disturbing character, who then asks them to complete a series of dangerous tasks. While this “challenge” has been reported by numerous news outlets to be a hoax, children may still have real fears and worries associated with it.
Please see the links below to learn more information:
We want to pass along information to our parents/guardians as well as to our students to ensure that we are encouraging all to make safe and smart decisions online. Children may have fears, concerns, or misinformation related to the “Momo Challenge.” We will be briefly discussing this topic with 7th and 8th grade students during Advisory on Tuesday and with 6th grade students on Monday. The main points of these conversations will be:
- Children should always report anything that makes them feel uncomfortable or unsafe online to a trusted adult
- Students should never share personal information online and should make sure they have strong privacy settings on social media accounts
- We should not be encouraging anyone to watch “Momo Challenge” content
Please visit the links below for some information on children’s use of technology and parent tips:
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your child’s administrator and/or school counselor.
We look forward to discussing your child’s progress at conferences next week!
- Thursday, March 7th at 8am- Scheduling closes for Parent, Student, and Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, March 7th – Director’s Coffee at 8:30 am in the Secondary Library
- Sunday, March 10th & Monday, March 11th– Parent, Student, and Teacher Conferences
- Saturday, March 16th – International Day
- Sunday, March 17th – TIMMS Testing for Selected 8th Grade Students
- Sunday, March 31st to Thursday, April 11th– Spring Break
NOTE: Important dates are noted on the online school calendar, available online here - 2018-2019 school calendar.