Greetings UAS Middle School Families,
Wow! It was an exciting week at UAS as we celebrated the UAE Flag Day, Halloween, the start of the Dubai Fitness Challenge, and we raised awareness for breast cancer. Thank you to all the students, parents, and teachers who worked hard to make these events happen. Below are a few pictures of these exciting the activities!
Flag Day, with elementary, middle, and high school students coming together in celebration of the UAE!
Last week a new Middle School student lounge was completed. Mr. Mark Gaffney our MS Counselor worked with a group of students to design the space and Ms. Khalida Bibi, our Middle School art teacher, helped to turn the design into reality. Mr. Gaffney, Ms. Khalida and our student team shared a belief to create a space for our Middle Schoolers to have “a space of their own.” Linking academics and real-world application will be a growing part of our UAS program, and we look forward to more initiatives between teachers and students in the future!
Students Mariam Osman, Noor Safa, Darosham Ayaz, and Farah Heikal, & teachers Mr. Gaffney & Ms. Bibi in the new student lounge.
The teachers spotlight this week shines on Drama teacher Ms. Cris Meija for her presentation The Beauty of Failure- Educating Children to Dare to Fail at the Asian Undergraduate Symposium in Japan. In her work, Ms. Meija discusses the importance of teaching failure in developing children who are resilient and better prepared for life’s challenges. Her work has been well received by the international community, Abstracts of her work can be found by clicking here.
Ms. Meija also coordinates the annual Fringe Festival, which promotes social inclusion and artistic expression at UAS by showing the art created of students, families, support staff, and other community members. If you are interested in participating in this year’s Fringe Festival, please contact Ms. Meija.
Ms. Meija presenting her research on the Beauty of Failure
To learn more about our current programs at UAS, and to offer you a space to share your feedback on the work we are doing in the Middle School, you are invited to attend the Middle School Principal’s Coffee, this Wednesday, November 7th from 8am-9am in the Secondary library. I look forward to seeing you there.
Have a great week!
Upcoming Events and Announcements
- Tuesday, November 6th – French and Spanish Grade 6 Exhibition from 9-9:30 am (section 2) and 12:35-1:05pm (section 1) in the MPH Foyer.
- Wednesday, November 7th– Middle School Principal’s Coffee from 8am-9am in the Secondary Library. We will available for a Q&A, along with feedback, in a small group setting.
- Thursday, November 8th, End of Quarter 1
- Wednesday, November 14th Quarter 1 grades are available to families. (A gentle reminder that school policy states tuition bills must be paid prior to release of report cards).
- Wednesday, November 14th and Thursday, November 15th – Parent Teacher Conferences. Sign up on Synergetic through November 12th.
NOTE: Important dates are noted on the online school calendar, available online here - 2018-2019 school calendar.