Greetings UAS Middle School Families,
I hope Fall Break was relaxing, a rejuvenating time with family and friends, and getting in some exercise to the Dubai Fitness Challenge! This week, the Fitness Challenge comes to UAS with a Kick-Off Assembly follow a week Focused on Fitness See below for more details.
This week’s Teacher Spotlight shines on Middle School PE Instructor Ms. Mindy Halpern for her work in bringing the Dubai Fitness Challenge at UAS. Mindy is excited about the initiative because “doing something for 30 days makes a habit,” and a fitness habit improves a student’s physical and mental health, academic performance and overall wellbeing, which is part the whole-child approach at UAS. As a city-wide initiative, Mindy likes that the Dubai Fitness Challenge is social event bringing our friends and family together around fitness. Here is an article from the Mayo Medical Clinic on all the benefits of exercise (link). Let’s do it Scorpions!
PE Instructor, Ms. Mindy Halpern
Lastly, during Fall Break our staff was busy creating an exciting new space for student gathering. Checkout the Blog next week for pictures and updates!
Have a great week!
- Fitness Challenge: Monday, October 29th All School Assembly.
- An Exercise of The Day will be provided by Ms. Halpern on the Scorpion Cast.
- A Fitness Circuit Class will be held every Wednesday on the field from 3:30-4:45.
- For more information on the Dubai Fitness Challenge visit the website by clicking here.
- Thursday, October 4- Sunday, November 4th– UAS Book Drive for Children’s Books Grades 1-4 (flyer below)
- Monday, October 28th– Dubai Fitness Kick Off and PTSO Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign- Assembly Starts at 8:00.
- Wednesday, October 31st from 3:30-4:45. Circuit class for staff and parents that will be meeting on the track at the field led by Ms. Mindy Halpern.
- Thursday, November 8th, End of Quarter 1
- Wednesday, November 14th Quarter 1 grades are available to families.
- Wednesday, November 14th and Thursday, November 15th – Parent Teacher Conferences (information will be coming out this week)
NOTE: Important dates are noted on the online school calendar, available online here - 2018-2019 school calendar.
UAS Book Drive
Dubai Fitness Kick Off & PTSO Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign
On Monday, October 29th the school will have an assembly and walk around the school. The assembly will start at 8:00. To raise awareness for breast cancer, students may wear pink shirts and jeans. If they are not wearing pink they must be in school uniforms.
Halloween at UAS Middle School
We encourage students to celebrate Halloween at UAS by dressing up. Please assist your child in making sure their costume is school appropriate. In this case, skirts, dresses, and shorts should be knee length. At UAS, sleeveless shirts are okay for students to wear, but shoulders should be covered. Also, we ask that students don’t have gadgets, like swords. Lastly, we ask that there is no scary stuff!! During the flex period when student have advisory, we will be having grade level Halloween celebrations.
Student Absence Form
When students have a planned absence, we request they go to Miss Hana and get a student absence form. This form helps to facilitate communication between the teacher, students, and parents. Students will take the form to their teachers to get information about the work they will be missing, and what to make up, along with the deadlines for late work. Please call Miss Hana for questions on the Student Absence Form.