Our Elementary Choir did a wonderful job performing this past Thursday at the DFC Mall for the lighting of the Christmas tree!
Our students also competed at a Swim Meet at GWA this past week. All of them did very well, and Sergey and James got medals!
A couple quick reminders about this week:
- There’s no school on Thursday, November 30 and Sunday, December 3.
- We will celebrate National Day this Wednesday, November 29!
Have a great week!
Dear Parents and Families of UAS Elementary School,
A Big Week ahead with Parent-Teacher Conferences on Wednesday, November 15th, and Thursday, November 16th. Just a reminder that there is no school on those two days. Another reminder is: all Arabic Teachers will be in rooms 213 (Arabic B) and 211 (Arabic A) and all other specialists (art, PE, music, Islamic Studies) will be located in the Elementary School Library.
Please note that parents were asked to complete a PYP Parent Survey. The survey information is critical for our upcoming PYP programme review that will yield an action plan for continual programme enhancement. Your ideas and feedback are critical…thank you in advance for your assistance with this survey. If you have not completed it yet, please click here to access the 10 minute PYP Parent Survey.
Last week was an exciting week at UAS ES! Our students had a lot of fun with the many outstanding learning opportunities that occurred for our students:
- As part of the Grade 3 Unit of Inquiry about inventions, the students built “Robots” in conjunction with Junkbots, an outside group who assisted students with the robotic construction. Their week’s work culminated in a Grade 3 assembly where the students received certificates from junkbots and had the opportunity to demonstrate their “ROBOT” for Grade 3 parents. It was a fun afternoon!
- KG1 classes had a field trip to Little Explorers. The children enjoyed exploring the five zones – I Discover Myself, I Locate Myself, I Can Do, I Experiment, and All Together. They also enjoyed a workshop titled “Rhythm and Sound”. It was a fun day for all!
- The Junior Scorpion Soccer teams rocked against DAA on Wednesday afternoon…the kids enjoyed playing the game, especially when scoring goals!
- Grade 1 took a field trip to the Lacnor Factory in Sharjah, where they toured the plant as part of their Farm to Table PYP Unit of Inquiry.
- On Saturday, our PYP Coordinator, Sabrina Sambola, escorted 12 UAS elementary students to the Global Children’s Design-A-Thon. Students participated in this world-wide event to demonstrate their reasoning, problem solving and creativity skills in seeking solutions to problems and/or issues involving water.
- On Wednesday at the monthly ES Principal Coffee, a presentation was conducted by Tanya Fakhoury from the Change Associates. The presentation and discussions focused on parent-child communication. Parents appeared to be quite engaged with the exchange of information.
Upcoming Events and Information:
- The Magrudy’s Book Fair is this week! Come shop 8:00-4:30 this week.
- KG2 goes to Kidzania on Sunday 12th to inquiry into different kinds of jobs
- A live Theatre performance of Jack and the Beanstalk is happening at UAS for PreK-KG2 on Monday 13th. We are very excited to see this classic fairy tale come to life!
- School Photos
- Please note that the school photos (individual & group) will be taken next week November 19- November 23.
- Middle School: November 19
- High School: November 20 & 21
- Elementary School: November 22 & 23
- All students should wear their school uniforms (white polo shirt) for the pictures. If they have PE, they usually change into their PE uniforms during their scheduled PE class.
- Order forms will be distributed to students will all necessary information enclosed within the packet.
- Upcoming UAS SKI TRIP
- When- March 24-March 31
- Cost- 11,000 aed
- Who can participate- Grades 4, 5, 6, and those students in grade 7 who went last year only
- What’s included?
- Full-board accommodation at Chalet Chamossaire
- All meals and snacks
- Ski/ snowboard equipment and clothing rental
- Lift passes
- Evening activities
- Transportation (flights + buses)
- Register here: https://goo.gl/6ExtrV
- Non-refundable deposit of 3,000dhs by Dec 12.
- More details at the parent information session this Wednesday (Nov. 16) and Thursday (Nov. 17) from 11:30-11:50, ES library.
We look forward to seeing you this Wednesday and Thursday!
David Dorn and David Jones
Hello Parents and Families of UAS Elementary School!
This week’s ES Blog will be information on the upcoming Parent Teacher Conferences. These conferences are purposeful dialogue between parents and teachers with the intent to develop a better understanding of how children are able to reach their academic, social and emotional potential. Please note that this year portions of the PTCs will differ from previous years in the areas of:
(1) Days/times, (2) appointment scheduling, and (3) conference content.
- Wednesday, November 15th
- Thursday, November 16th
- No school for students on these two days
- Please note that UAS would like for all PTCs to take place on these 2 days (This is a new format this school year)
- 8 to 11:30; 12:30 to 4:00 (last conference scheduled at 3:30)
- 25 minute conferences scheduled on the ½ hour (new format this year)
- 11:30 to 12:30 faculty lunch
Scheduling of Homeroom Teacher Conferences:
- The ES Office has scheduled back-to-back conferences for all families with 2 or more children enrolled in the elementary school. These times will be available for review on the Synergetic Portal Online Appointment Scheduling Process. This scheduling was completed to support parents with multiple children at UAS ES.
- Families will be responsible for accessing Synergetic Portal to schedule and/or alter pre-assigned sibling schedules. Please use the link below for instructions to access the Synergetic Portal for conference scheduling. This is the process utilized for both Middle School and High School PTCs. (new format this year for ES)
- The Portal will be open for parental view on Tuesday, November 7th, at 8:00 am
Conferences with Specialists Teachers
- All other teachers will be available for Parent-Teacher Conferences within the ES Library. This includes PE, Music, Art, Arabic and Islamic Studies teachers.
- These conferences will be on a “drop-In” basis.
- The hours of availability will be 8-11:30 and 12:30-4:00.
- ELL and Learning Support Teachers will make individual family contacts as needed for PTCs.
Format of Homeroom Teacher-Parent Conference
- Homeroom teachers will potentially review the following information with families:
- Teacher’s 3 stars and a wish
- MAP Data
- Progress/Attainment in Math, Reading, Writing
- Work habits
- Social Emotional development
- Families will be asked to complete an online survey to provide parental information prior to the PTC for the intent to promote a vibrant school-home dialog. (new format this year)
- If families have questions concerning the management transition for the 18-19 school year, faculty will record those questions and submit them to school administration for review. The school administration will publish a FAQ in an attempt to address any questions and/or concerns.
Homeroom teachers will publish more PTC information on their individual blogs this week. We look forward to meeting with you and hope you have insightful and beneficial discussions about your child!
Click HERE for directions to access the Synergetic Portal Online Appointment Scheduling Process.
David Dorn and David Jones