Hello Families, Parents and Students of UAS Elementary School!
Last week was a fun week at UAS ES! Third grade had a field trip to the Dubai Museum and Gold Souks…the students, teachers and parents were able to understand and gain a more in-depth awareness of Dubai’s history and heritage…fun was had by all! In addition, the fifth grade classes performed a “mini-concert” with their recorders for their parents and fellow classmates; it was a musical experience for the ages!
A follow-up note to last week’s blog about reading…vocabulary or word study is a key to the development of reading comprehension. Even though your child’s teacher focuses on word study at school, you, too, can assist in this important process. As you read with your child, please take time to focus on the vocabulary within the story or news article; chat about the word’s meaning, different meanings of the word, and its importance within the context of the reading plus identify another word that might also “fit” within the context. Vocabulary is fun…. have fun with your son or daughter at night while reading with them!
Please note the following upcoming events and information:
- Grade 2 Music Performance: “Big Beautiful Planet” is scheduled for February 1st at 8 am in the MPH…find more information on your child’s teacher’s blog.
- ES Parent Coffee: This Thursday, February 2nd, the ES Parent Coffee will be held in the MPH from 8:00 am till 9:00 am. The topic of the day will be ES’s PYP Programme with Ms. Larisa Sharifi, PYP Coordinator, presenting.
- Grade 1 Music Performance: “Squirm” is scheduled for February 7th at 9 am in the MPH…find more information on your child’s teacher’s blog.
- Sports Days: Sports Days are coming to UAS Elementary School! During the week of February 12th, we will hold 3 separate Sports Days to maximize student involvement and participation. Look for more information on your classroom teacher’s blog but note the following dates:
- February 13, 2017: 4th grade/5th grade Sports Day
- February 14, 2017: 2nd grade/3rd grade Sports Day
- February 15, 2017: 1st grade/2nd grade Sports Day
- Saturday Sports Academy: Below is a message from Kurtis Trottier, UAS Athletic Director
This message is just to let you know that another session of the Saturday Sports Academy at UAS is set to begin on February 11th with free trial sessions for Soccer, Basketball, Swimming and Tennis. Registration information will also be sent out very soon, so please be sure to register to confirm your place within the UAS Saturday Sports Academy. In addition, be sure to look for the SSA registration links on the parent portal to sign up. If you have any questions or concerns, please email: SSA@uasdubai.ae.
Finally, our transportation department has a request regarding parent pickups from ASAs. If your child normally rides a bus home after an ASA and you decide to “pick-up” your child in lieu of them riding the bus home, please contact Ms. Janel in the ES Office to notify the school. If transportation does not have this notification from the ES Office, they will assume that your child is on campus and they will hold the transport as they look for the student. Help all of our children get home on time! Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your support and have a wonderful week! Life is Good at UAS Elementary School!
David and Amanda