Dear Parents, Families and Students of UAS’s Elementary School,
Life is Good at UAS!
Continuing this week are the mid year assessments of MAP, writing and reading. Please have a conversation with your child about the assessments, the importance for the student to be able to goal set for the remainder of the school year and to recognize the growth they have accomplished this year to date. From chatting with teachers and students about the reading assessments, many classroom celebrations will occur due to the significant growth of students since the beginning of the school year. It is a joy to see the “light bulb” light up in a child’s eye and listen to the excitement within their voice as they share their growth…it is what being an educator is all about! The MAP mid-year reports will be sent home for parents during the first few weeks of February.
As a parent of older children, I very much miss the evening times I had with my children when they were of elementary school age. Danielle, Jessica and I would sit and read together…we would take turns reading aloud our book of choice. We would preview the book by its cover and pictures to make “guesses” about the plot, characters and setting. As we read, we would check our comprehension by asking each other questions about the story…sometimes I think they were checking to see if I was awake! It was a great time to enhance vocabulary, develop conversational language, and share story interpretations and mainly, just to have quality family time. I would encourage all families to participate in such an activity with their children; Moms and Dads are truly the best teachers!
Upcoming reminders and event information:
- A 3rd grade field trip occurs this week to the Dubai Museum and Gold Souks
- The PE Department and Ms. Amanda will continue to be planning for Sports Days in February. More information to come within next week’s blog.
- On Thursday, 2nd grade will hold a Career Symposium in the MPH beginning at 1:00 pm.
- Ms. Cor is readying her 1st and 2nd grade students for their upcoming February performances that have been advertised within her music class blog.
- We are entering the 2nd full week of second trimester ASAs!
- 5th grade camp registration deadline is Monday, Jan. 23. Please see the teachers blogs for details!
Thank you all for your continued support of UAS! Have a great week!