March 2020 archive
In our fourth unit of inquiry, we are learning about persuasive media and advertisements. During the unit, students will explore different types of advertisements such as print, TV, internet and radio ads. We will learn to look at the ads with a critical eye and understand how they are trying to influence us with a variety of persuasive techniques.
The central idea for this unit is:
Media utilizes persuasion to influence others to take action.
The lines of Inquiry are:
- different forms of media
- the use of persuasive language, images and sounds in media
- targeting an audience
- the importance of thinking critically about media messages
For our final assessment students will create their own advertisements using persuasive techniques they learned during the unit. The advertisements will need to be targeted to a selected audience, be creative, neat, and have a good use of color.
For our fourth unit of Reading, we will be learning how to read and understand persuasive and opinion texts. Students will continue to build their understanding of nonfiction texts.
We will be learning to
- Identify between fact and opinion
- Identify the author’s purpose for writing a given text
- Use context clues to understand the meaning of new words.
- Identify the author’s craft techniques for persuasive texts.
- Paraphrase information from nonfiction texts
For the final assessment, students will be working on three skill-based questions. The question stems are posted below. For each skill, students will need to be able to justify their answers by citing information and details from the story. For example “I know that the author likes dogs because…..”
You can use these question stems to practice at home.