We’ve had a short week at school this week, thanks to the rain. However, we still managed to pack in a lot of learning. Students are beginning to understand what it means to write as experts on a topic, and read to become experts on a topic. Additionally, we have been working hard to learn multiple strategies for three-digit subtraction.
This morning at our assembly, students learned about our new house point system, and will be finding out their new house next week.
You should have noticed that students are now expected to read 30 minutes each night as part of their homework. It is a grade 3 expectation that students have this reading stamina. Beginning next week, the weekly homework log will be sent home electronically to help students keep track of their homework expectations for the week. This will not need to be submitted but will rather serve as a reminder for students of the tasks they need to complete by the following Sunday.
- Math: We will be focusing on strategies for triple digit addition and multi-step number stories this week. In Number Corner, we will continue to inquire into equivalent fractions and elapsed time.
- Reading: Our nonfiction reading unit will continue with students practicing reading concepts such as cause and effect, compare and contrast and reading to “become an expert” on a nonfiction topic.
- Writing: We will continue creating our own expository text, using iPads or books to research. It is very common for children to want to transcribe the information they have read and the goal is that the children can paraphrase what they have read in their own words.
- Unit of Inquiry: We will continue with our unit on engineering with a focus on sustainability.
Dates to Remember:
- January 19th: Winter MAP Testing begins and reading assessments begin.
- Reading & Math will be completed next week
- Science will be completed the following week
- January 23rd: Report cards “go live” for parents
- February 2nd – 6th: Book Week
- February 16th: Professional Development Day – No school for students
- February 27th: Sports Day
We look forward to another fantastic week of learning ahead!
Grade 3 Team