November 7, 2019
This was a wonderful week of learning. Students started off the week celebrating UAE’s National Flag Day. We began a new schedule and the children are loving that they have a few extra minutes of wiggle time.
You will be receiving an email from the school office the day before your child has PE or Library to help ensure that your child comes to school prepared. Please keep an eye out if you or your child are unsure.
Please see below some skills you can work on with your child at home to help reinforce what we’ve been working on in class:
- Skip counting
- Students should become fluent in skip counting by 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, 10s.
- We recommend that students work on their skip counting skills by 2s, 5s, and 10s first.
- Next, they can work on mastering skip counting by 3s and 4s.
- Then, students should become comfortable with counting by 6s and 8s.
- Finally, students should master counting by 7s and 9s.
- Students should be able to count up by each number up to the 10th number in the sequence. (For example, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30.)
- This foundation will increase their understanding and rapid recall of multiplication.
Students will be working on the following this upcoming week:
- Writing – Students will continue to build on their understanding of opinion writing. Students will work on addressing their audience directly, ensuring they are using convincing language to reinforce their opinion. Students will also begin their work into ensuring they use evidence and examples to support their opinion.
- Reading – Students will continue their inquiry into different types of poetic language and figures of speech such as alliteration, onomatopoeia, similes and metaphors. They are encouraged to look for examples of these forms of language in their reading and other people’s speech.
- Math – This week, we will continue our journey into understanding multiplication using a variety of strategies. Students have been exposed to using number lines and arrays to help with their understanding of multiplication and how multiplication facts can be related to one another.
- Unit of Inquiry – Students will continue their learning journey into the unit of How We Express Ourselves, by looking at the concept of climate and how climate affects culture.
We are looking forward to our first full week with the new schedule, and to a wonderful week of learning ahead!
Grade 3 Team