October 27, 2019
Dear Grade 3 Parents,
We had a wonderful set of student-parent-teacher meetings on Wednesday and Thursday and would like to thank you for taking the time to come and meet with us so we could discuss accomplishments and next steps for our students. We hope the students are having a wonderful mid-term break and we look forward to welcoming them back to school on Sunday, October 27th.
Swimming classes in PE will continue. Please send your child to school in their school uniform and gym shoes. The children swim at 11:05 after recess so it is too hot for them to wear rash vests and swimsuits under their uniforms. In the interest of health and safety children cannot wear flip flops, crocs and sandals around the school and the stairs. These must be brought in a swim bag and worn only around the pool area.
Dates to Remember:
- The PTSO will be running a special event for Diwali (the festival of lights) on Sunday, October 27th and an event for Halloween on Thursday, October 31st. Students are allowed to dress up in traditional Indian attire for Diwali and costumes for Halloween. Students are not allowed to wear costumes that would be offensive to others, or carry weapons.
This upcoming week, students will be working on:
- Writing – Beginning their understanding of opinion writing. Students will work on forming “bold and brave opinions” and begin their understanding of writing persuasive speeches.
- Reading – Students will begin on a unit of reading, sharing and understanding poetry. Please remember that students should be completing their Reading Response homework as indicated on their homework sheet and in their Reading Log.
- Math – This week, we will continue our journey into understanding multiplication using a variety of strategies.
- Unit of Inquiry – Students will begin their learning journey into the unit of How We Express Ourselves, looking at the aspect of culture.
As always, we look forward to a great week of learning ahead!
Grade 3 Team