Dear Grade 3 Parents,
This was a particularly busy week here in Grade 3 with Photo Day, our October Assembly and a Grade 3 rotation of learning about government. Please ask your child to share these experiences with you.
Swimming classes in PE will continue. Please send your child to school in their school uniform and gym shoes. The children swim at 11:05 after recess so it is too hot for them to wear rash vests and swimsuits under their uniforms. In the interest of health and safety children cannot wear flip flops, crocs and sandals around the school and the stairs. These must be brought in a swim bag and worn only around the pool area.
Dates to Remember:
- Drawings By Me orders are due back to school by Sunday, October 13th.
- Photo Make Up for absent students is on Monday, October 14th.
- Student-Parent-Teacher conferences are taking place on Wednesday and Thursday this coming week. You will be receiving an e-mail soon about signing up for conferences. In order to promote student agency and responsibility, students in grades 3, 4, and 5 are asked to join their parents in meeting their teacher for conferences. This will be a teacher-led conference with students being able to give input and reflection on their learning so far this year. There will be no school for students on Wednesday and Thursday, they are only expected to attend their conference.
- The PTSO will be running a special event for Diwali (the festival of lights) on Sunday, October 27th and an event for Halloween on Thursday, October 31st. Students are allowed to dress up in traditional Indian attire for Diwali and costumes for Halloween. Students are not allowed to wear costumes that would be offensive to others, or carry weapons.
This upcoming week, students will be working on:
- Writing – Students will begin to publish their stories.
- Reading – Students will be working on challenging themselves and using grit to get through a text and decode tricky words. Please remember that students should be completing their Reading Response homework as indicated on their homework sheet and in their Reading Log.
- Math – This week, we will begin our journey into understanding multiplication using a variety of strategies.
- Unit of Inquiry – Students will be developing their understanding of different types of government.
We look forward to a great week of learning ahead!
Grade 3 Team