This week in KG-1
This week we were SCIENTIST as we completed many science activities as we finished our UOI into ‘How the World Works’ using our five senses. We read the story ‘Ava Twist the Scientist’ as we talked about asking and answering questions with Why, How and What.
Experiment 1 – Liquids and Solids
In pairs the children predicted what they thought would happen to different objects and recorded them on sheets
We put them outside
We investigated what happened to our object
We drew our findings and described what happened to the ones that changed.
Experiment 2 – We made slime
The children enjoyed working in pairs mixing the ingredients together and observing what happened when they mixed the two mixtures together.
Here is the experiment if you would like to make it at home!
Experiment 3 – Candy Observation
In centre this week
The children tasted different foods and used describing words such as bitter, salty, sweet and sour; with different materials they created something to make a car go faster; fished for numbers and practised writing what they found; sorted fish by color and made a graph of the fish colours; smelt different containers and guessed which fruit scent was inside; rolled a dice, identified the letter and sound and drew a picture an object that starts with that letter; laced pasta and used our five senses to identify what was inside jar #1 and jar #2
This week we begun outdoor centers where the children worked at different activities in our outside enviroment. Ask your child what they did. Photo’s on Flikr
Well done to this weeks Rockstar Recess – Daniel for being responsible in the classroom and to Sara for being a risk-taker.
Next Week in KG-1
We will begin our new unit of inquiry into ‘Sharing the Planet’ we will be going on a field trip to Uptown Mirdif Park. On Sunday we are trialling Free Flow Free Inquiry where the children will be able to visit a range of classrooms during our free inquiry.
* KG1 is working hard on their IXL Math skills and now we are able to offer Literacy Skills on their IXL accounts! Take this next week to explore the site and let them try some PK skills. We will send you specific lessons to work on, in next week’s blog.
Ms Crystal Hanna came and awarded our class a certificate for having the most IXL hours in KG-1!
* You may have noticed on your class calendar that we are requesting all KG1 students to wear their colored class shirt on Sundays. We are beginning a Free Flow throughout the PK and KG1 classrooms during Free Inquiry time, and this will allow us to keep students organized.
* Please remember Take home bags are due back on Sunday’s. If they are returned late you will not get one the following week and will have to wait until the following week to receive one as it takes Ms. Kareen time to check all the bags for the items which she does on a Sunday afternoon.
*Library will be on Tuesday next week due to our Field trip on Wednesday
* Wednesday, January 24 we are going to Uptown Mirdif Park for a picnic, nature walk and playground. This will kick off our new PYP Unit of Sharing the Planet. Permission slips are in your child’s folder and should be returned on Sunday! There is no cost, but class shirts, lunch boxes and water bottles are required.
* We need your child to bring in a large, empty cereal box by January 29. We will need plenty of time to decorate them for Valentine’s Day. A class list came home today for your child to begin making Valentine’s for their classmates.
* Last but not least, UAS is hosting a special Fun Fair next Friday, January 26, to raise awareness for People of Determination formerly known as special needs. We encourage you to attend this free event and invite anyone else in your neighborhood or workplace. I am attaching the flyer with times and information.