This week we wrapped up our PYP unit How the World Works. We finished with several different experiments using our 5 senses. We did a taste, smell and sight experiment. The children enjoyed being scientists. Please ask them what happened to the Skittles and M&Ms when they were placed in water. Next week we will begin our new PYP unit – Sharing the Planet.
In centers we became engineers and had to build ramps to make the cars go faster. In math we are practicing writing our numbers and graphing.
Today was our first day of outdoor centers. The kids had a great time learning outside.
One of our parents came in to read a special book to our Chinese students.
Click here to view more photos.
Here are several reminders as we look ahead to the next couple of weeks:
* KG1 is working hard on their IXL Math skills and now we are able to offer
literacy skills on their IXL accounts! Take this next week to explore the site and let
them try some PK skills. Please remember that for both math and language arts that our students should only be doing the Pre-K skills. This is a US program and KG-1 is considered Pre-K in the US. We will send you specific lessons to work on, in next week’s
* You may have noticed on your class calendar that we are requesting all KG1 students to wear their colored (orange) class shirt on Sundays. We are beginning a Free Flow throughout the PK and KG1 classrooms during Free Inquiry time, and this will allow us to keep students organized.
* Next Wednesday, January 24 we are going to Uptown Mirdif Park for a picnic, nature walk and playground. This will kick off our new PYP Unit of Sharing the Planet. Permission slips went home yesterday in your child’s folder. If you did not return it today, please be sure to return it on Sunday. There is no cost, but class shirts, lunch boxes and water bottles are required.
* Scholastic Book Orders and correct change are due to me no later than, January 25.
* We need your child to bring in a large, empty cereal box by January 29. We will need plenty of time to decorate them for Valentine’s Day. A class list went home yesterday for your child to begin making Valentine’s for their classmates. We would just like to reiterate that this should not be stressful. Have fun with it and do maybe 2-3 cards a day. If you think your child is ready, feel free to have them write their classmates’ names on the cards as well.
*We realize that it is getting cold outside. This is just a reminder that your child needs to wear a UAS or navy blue sweater or jacket.
* Last but not least, UAS is hosting a special Fun Fair next Friday, January 26, to raise awareness for People of Determination formerly known as special needs. We encourage you to attend this free event and invite anyone else in your neighborhood or workplace. I am attaching the flyer with times and information.
Have a great weekend!