This week we had our first library class. Ms. Leslie read “We’re Going on a Bear Hunt.” The students then practiced proper library etiquette and how to find a book. Beginning this Sunday, students will begin checking out books to bring home. The books will be due back every Sunday.
This week we read “Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes.” Students loved singing the song. Our class then made our own Pete the Cat books. Those went home today. Please read them with your child. Click here to watch the short video and sing the song with your child. You can also view last weeks song and video here.
We also read the book Ten Black Dots. We then used our imaginations to think of things we could make with black dots. Students were able to use up to 10 black dots for their creations. I was so proud of how hard they all worked.
Our Letter of the week was A. Our nursery rhyme of the week was Mary Had A Little Lamb. You can click on each image to listen to the letter and nursery rhymes.
During centers we practiced:
- cutting straight lines
- fine motor- using tweezers and stringing beads
- using blocks to create numbers to 10
- sorting by color using pasta and balls
- how to use glue
- Next week we will be reading books my Laura Numeroff, the author of “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.” Then we will make cookies as a class. Our class needs 1-2 parents to volunteer to take our trays of cookies home to bake them. Please email me if you are able to help.
- We will continue to work on identifying and counting numbers to 5.
- We will also begin activities to help students recognize their own names.
- We will be learning shapes, including a rhombus, trapezoid, octagon and parallelogram. Don’t worry…I do not expect mastery in one week. The goal is simply to start exposing students to the vocabulary and help them to begin recognizing these shapes around them.
- Show and tell will begin on Sunday. Please click here for the schedule.
- Back to School Night is Monday October 2nd at 1pm and 5:15pm. If you have not already done so please sign up for a time.
Have a great weekend!